Understanding UC Maximum Transfer Credit Limitation Policy

Confused about the UC Maximum Transfer Credit Limitation Policy? This information applies to intercampus (UC-to-UC) transfers and transfer students with four-year college credits. Empower yourself with knowledge so you can make informed decisions about your future.

Update (2/2019): you can now find a UC webinar on Lower Division Maximum Credit Policy here.

Update (11/2018): the UCs have renamed the “Maximum Transfer Credit Limitation Policy” to “High-Unit Limits and Admission Policy” and moved the explanation into the Quick Reference for Counselors (the short link in the video “askmssun.com/unit-cap” now directs you there). You can find a campus-by-campus unit limit chart on page 34 of the PDF file and some additional information regarding the policy on page 33 of the same PDF file under “Limits on Transfer Credit.”

Know someone who can benefit from this information? Share the page with family and friends using a button below!

Help support this blog by making a contribution today! Any amount is greatly appreciated!


Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

Tariq Kafireply
September 17, 2016 at 1:24 am

You are the most important source for UC Admissions. Period. I am sorely disappointed by the billion dollar UC System’s total failure to clarify this bureaucratic maze. I personally think this policy is utterly moronic to say the least; but even more moronic is UC System Wide dearth of information. Not a single campus’s web site has information remotely as clear as your web site does. You are doing a great service for the public, and UC should give you a medal. If not, they should come up with one, so that you can be the first recipient. I mean it seriously. Thank you for your dedication.

Ms. Sunreply
September 17, 2016 at 9:19 am
– In reply to: Tariq Kafi

Thank you very much for your kind words 🙂

Tariq Kafireply
September 17, 2016 at 1:28 am

p.s.: Oh! I forgot to mention, the short URL is no longer active. I think UC took it somewhere and cannot be found. Typical UC.

Ms. Sunreply
September 17, 2016 at 9:21 am
– In reply to: Tariq Kafi

Yeah, that’s on my “fix” list. For now, I added a comment to direct viewers to the correct location (it’s now buried in a 78-page document).

Christine Buireply
December 6, 2017 at 10:46 am

Hello Ms.Sun. What if I have only 3 units of upper division coursework at a 4-year university (I don’t know if it’s transferable or not) on top of the 70 semester units cap? Am I still automatically disqualified for admission? Thank you!

Ms. Sunreply
December 6, 2017 at 11:57 am
– In reply to: Christine Bui

Did you look at the chart on page 30 of the Quick Reference for Counselors?

Marilyn Nguyenreply
April 29, 2019 at 6:24 pm

If I am a student who double timed at 2 community colleges and then I transferred with 98.5 units only at CC. Then if I transfer to a CSU to do biochemistry but I am not doing upper division classes yet (I’m still completing calculus, physics, biology) would those disqualify me from transferring from CSU to UC?

Ms. Sunreply
April 29, 2019 at 10:30 pm
– In reply to: Marilyn Nguyen

As long as you don’t have upper-division units (and no UC units), you should remain eligible.

April 25, 2020 at 7:41 pm

If I earned 65 units at a community college and have 15 units from AP credits, will 80 units of lower division courses be able to go toward my bachelors degree?

Ms. Sunreply
April 26, 2020 at 10:48 am
– In reply to: JC

You will only get “unit credit” (number of units that will count toward UC graduation unit requirement) for up to 70 semester or 105 quarter units. But you will receive “subject credit” for all of the courses/AP credits you have (you don’t need to retake anything you already passed). Duplicate credits (for example, AP Calculus BC score of 5 and one year of calculus course sequence) will only count once.

April 26, 2020 at 3:07 pm
– In reply to: Ms. Sun

Are you saying all of the credits including the subject credits from the AP tests can only add up to 70 units? Or the subject credits are separate from the 70 units and can push someone over that unit cap?

Ms. Sunreply
April 27, 2020 at 10:33 am
– In reply to: JC

“Unit credit” has to do with the number of units you need to accumulate in order to graduate; that is capped at 70 semester units (you can apply 70 semester units you have earned toward meeting that graduation unit requirement). “Subject credit” is different and that has to do with the courses you can take or don’t need to take (for example, if you already took Calculus, you don’t need to retake that).

Any Questions?