UC Freshman Admission Decision Timeline (Preliminary)

I just updated the confirmed and projected (based on previous application cycles) Fall 2022 UC freshman decision release dates. Keep in mind that the UCs received a great number of freshman applications for Fall 2022 (almost 211,000 applications systemwide); between that and the ongoing pandemic, I anticipate the decision timeline may shift toward the latter half of March.

You will receive an email from each campus when the decision becomes available (occasionally there may be a slight delay between when the decision becomes available and when the email goes out). Some UC campuses may state the decision within the email, while others will require you to log into the applicant portal to check the admission decision. All UCs will send admissions packets to admitted students; campuses will NOT mail letters to students who are NOT admitted.

Help support this blog by making a contribution today! Any amount is greatly appreciated!

susanreply
February 26, 2022 at 1:30 pm

My son’s friend got an Acceptance Email yesterday from UCSC – does that mean my son did not get in?

February 27, 2022 at 9:02 pm
– In reply to: susan

If you looked at the timeline, you’ll see that UCSC “decisions will continue to roll out in batches at MyUCSC until mid-March.”

Sarareply
February 28, 2022 at 11:53 am

What is the likelihood of acceptance to more competitive UC schools if you were accepted in the first group of students accepted to UC Santa Cruz on 2/25?

February 28, 2022 at 11:30 pm
– In reply to: Sara

Each UC campus evaluates and admits students independently. In the past, I have heard from students who were rejected by Davis but admitted to UCLA, or rejected by San Diego but admitted to Berkeley.

Mariereply
March 1, 2022 at 10:17 am

Are the first group of accepted students (early release) seen as first choice, or are they for particular programs that released decisions earlier?

March 1, 2022 at 7:54 pm
– In reply to: Marie

The earliest batch of decisions is usually high achieving students and/or students the campus is eager to have.

SHEreply
March 2, 2022 at 8:47 am

Do UC Schools send rejection notifications either through the portal or via email? or it’s just radio silence?

March 2, 2022 at 2:49 pm
– In reply to: SHE

UC decisions (acceptance, rejection, or waitlist offer) will be posted in the portal.

SHEreply
March 2, 2022 at 9:02 am

Does early admission also indicate a higher chance of receiving a Regents scholarship?

March 2, 2022 at 2:52 pm
– In reply to: SHE

Regents are generally offered to the top ~1% of the students admitted to a particular campus.

Jessireply
March 2, 2022 at 8:38 pm

When is rejection or waitlist posted ?

March 3, 2022 at 2:57 pm
– In reply to: Jessi

Usually toward the end of the decision release cycle.

Southernerreply
March 3, 2022 at 2:25 pm

Have you heard anyone accepted by UCI yet?

March 3, 2022 at 3:18 pm
– In reply to: Southerner

Not yet.

Mimireply
March 3, 2022 at 2:48 pm

If you get accepted to your alternate major(economics) at UCR do you still have a chance to get your first choice(cs) later.

March 3, 2022 at 3:20 pm
– In reply to: Mimi

Yes, there’s an explanation about that here, under “Bourns College of Engineering (BCOE) Majors.”

Moereply
March 3, 2022 at 8:26 pm

A couple of people I know got accepted into UCR already, but I haven’t gotten anything, does this mean I didn’t get in?

March 4, 2022 at 2:20 pm
– In reply to: Moe

UCR releases decisions in batches.

Janereply
March 4, 2022 at 11:51 am

My daughter is waiting for an email to notify her of any decisions. Will they always get an email soon after a decision is reached, or should she be checking the portals regularly?

March 4, 2022 at 2:23 pm
– In reply to: Jane

The UCs will always send an email when the decision is posted. Sometimes those emails end up in spam/junk folder and occasionally they disappear into a cyber black hole, so checking the portal at the end of March is best (or check periodically, whatever works for her).

Mosereply
March 4, 2022 at 4:04 pm

Howdy! I saw on your blog that Davis might be released today? Is that still a likely thing to happen? Thanks!

March 4, 2022 at 7:04 pm
– In reply to: Mose

Davis usually releases decisions in the afternoon so probably not at this point (7 p.m.).

Jazlereply
March 5, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Do you know approximately when ucla or uci provide decision regarding to the nursing program

March 5, 2022 at 4:37 pm
– In reply to: Jazle

At the same time as the other freshman decisions.

Debreply
March 8, 2022 at 7:13 am

Anyone heard from UCLA, UCB or UCSD yet? have the first regular batches gone out from these UCs yet?

March 8, 2022 at 5:10 pm
– In reply to: Deb

Those three campuses generally release all decisions on the same day. I have the projected/confirmed dates posted here.

Grace L.reply
March 9, 2022 at 7:24 am
– In reply to: Deb

UCB released earlier batches. The regular batches are not released yet.

March 9, 2022 at 11:42 am
– In reply to: Grace L.

There is a very small (single) batch of early decisions from Berkeley (so few students hear back in that round that I don’t really count it as a batch release, at least not the same way UCSC or UCR does the batch decision releases). Majority of the applicants will hear from Berkeley on the confirmed decision release date (3/24/2022).

Grace L.reply
March 8, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Hello, Do you know any student accepted by UC Davies? it’s 11th or 18th?

March 8, 2022 at 5:12 pm
– In reply to: Grace L.

According to a counselor email sent out today, the decisions will be released by this Friday (3/11).

Grace L.reply
March 9, 2022 at 7:21 am
– In reply to: Ms. Sun

Thanks! My son has been admitted by UCSC, UCM and UCR so far. Still waiting for UC Davies, UC San Diego and UC LA. Hopefully, swapped all.

Ms. Sun
March 9, 2022 at 11:38 am
– In reply to: Grace L.

Congratulations!

Ericreply
March 8, 2022 at 10:27 pm

So there’s a chance they release decisions before Friday, since it’s *by* Friday?

March 9, 2022 at 11:30 am
– In reply to: Eric

Yes, last year the decisions were released on Thursday.

Annreply
March 9, 2022 at 7:37 am

UCLA asked my child to complete 2 more essays and submit her first semester grades. Is that typical?

March 9, 2022 at 11:44 am
– In reply to: Ann

That is the Supplemental Questionnaire, I have an explanation posted here.

Harshreply
March 9, 2022 at 7:31 pm

I have not received my UCR decision yet, does that mean I didn’t get in?

March 9, 2022 at 7:44 pm
– In reply to: Harsh

It means you have not received a decision from UCR.

Harshreply
March 10, 2022 at 6:45 am

So will I get a decision or I won’t be getting any?

March 10, 2022 at 11:17 am
– In reply to: Harsh

All freshman decisions will be released by the end of March.

Jenreply
March 10, 2022 at 7:50 am

3 weeks ago UCLA asked us to apply for the alumni merit scholarship. We did. Is that a positive sign for admission?

March 10, 2022 at 11:21 am
– In reply to: Jen

I have an explanation posted here (also look in the comments for another source with more details).

Grace L.reply
March 10, 2022 at 11:35 am

Very positive sign! 80% of students were admitted in the past. What’s his weighted GPA?

March 10, 2022 at 12:00 pm
– In reply to: Grace L.

It was closer to half (60%) according to the latest information available and the correlation only exists with the first email (second email goes out to everyone).

Grace L.reply
March 10, 2022 at 12:15 pm
– In reply to: Ms. Sun

For those applicants who received supplemental questionnaires, what’s the chance to get in? Lower chance than those who received alumni merit scholarship?

Ms. Sun
March 10, 2022 at 3:06 pm
– In reply to: Grace L.

Last time this question came up during the counselor conference (I want to say four or five years ago?), the campuses that did augmented review (supplemental questionnaires) said the admit rate for students who received the request was pretty close to the regular pool.

sofiareply
March 11, 2022 at 8:33 am

Do UCI decisions release today?

March 11, 2022 at 3:59 pm
– In reply to: sofia

That’s a possibility.

sofreply
March 11, 2022 at 8:35 am

Do UCI decisions release today? or next Friday?

March 11, 2022 at 4:00 pm
– In reply to: sof

If not today, then possibly next Friday.

Kimberlyreply
March 12, 2022 at 9:52 pm

You posted that UCI decisions began rolling out today (March 11). Do you know how many acceptances were released and not getting it today means that I have a lower chance to get in?

March 13, 2022 at 1:40 pm
– In reply to: Kimberly

I think the decisions released so far were mostly for the honors program. Not receiving a decision just means you either didn’t apply to the honors program (so your decision will be with one of the regular batches) or you didn’t get into the honors program if you applied (but may still be admitted as a regular applicant), or you didn’t get in. Those are all possibilities.

Theresereply
March 13, 2022 at 1:20 am

I heard UCI rejected 4.0 UW GPA with intense ECs and volunteer, student in the past, the student ended up at UCLA. Do you have any explanation?

March 13, 2022 at 1:56 pm
– In reply to: Therese

Maybe Irvine thought the student would opt to go somewhere else. Irvine has experimented with different enrollment management tactics within the past decade, sometimes with disastrous results (there were two cycles I can remember where the campus totally misjudged the enrollment prediction and, for at least one cycle, under-enrolled by a margin close to 50% – that year Irvine admitted everyone off the waitlist and sent messages to high school counselors to encourage their students to appeal). I vaguely recall the campus may be making adjustments this year again, so we’ll see.

On that note, Davis is pretty notorious for yield protection (search online if you don’t know what that is) and there has been some speculation that Santa Cruz started doing that too (although the campus announced it was switching from holistic back to hybrid review, so I’m not sure what will happen). I regularly hear from high school valedictorians who cry about getting waitlisted at Davis (it really doesn’t help that Davis usually releases decisions first – it’s such a crushing blow for the high achieving kids). There are definitely reasons behind the pattern of admission decisions, but it’s almost never what you think it is or what you want to hear (I just try not to think about it, otherwise I’d throw up).

Markreply
March 13, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Hi, Ms. Sun. Despite having a very high weighted GPA(>4.35) along with taking the hardest AP STEM classes, my son got rejected by UC Davis. Not to mention, that the major he applied to was CS and also had good extracurriculars and awards in that field. From your past experience do you have any idea as to why that may be?

March 13, 2022 at 9:08 pm
– In reply to: Mark

CS is crazy competitive. For UCs that do publish major-specific stats, CS admit rates are like 5%. It’s probably the same for Davis.

Babakreply
March 14, 2022 at 10:15 am

Hi Ms. Sun, I appreciate your comments about UC Davis. My son has a Weighted GPA of 4.6 and just got waitlisted at UC Davis! We were shocked and started wondering if he will even get an offers from other UCs. But I guess that’s life!

March 14, 2022 at 3:22 pm
– In reply to: Babak

He should be fine. I wouldn’t take the Davis decision too seriously.

Jayreply
March 14, 2022 at 10:22 am

For Davis is it only considered possible yield protection if you got waitlisted, because I have strong Ecs rewards and a high gpa (2Bs 10-11) hardest course load possible. I got rejected for engineering after getting accepted to colleges like uiuc,uw,and purdue. As an instate applicant I am fairly scared/confused.cause UCB and UCSD are some of my dream schools.

March 14, 2022 at 3:38 pm
– In reply to: Jay

Engineering is crazy competitive at most UCs. At UCLA, which publishes engineering-specific admission stats, engineering admit rates are generally well below 10% (depending on the program, most are between 5% and 7%). Berkeley and San Diego do not publish engineering-specific stats, but I would expect their engineering admit rates to be comparable to UCLA.

I only allow my clients to apply to engineering if they will have at least one, if not both, AP Physics C by high school graduation, remain enrolled in advanced calculus through senior year (taking AP Stats in senior year is unacceptable), and have extensive STEM-focused extracurricular activities (completing at least one, if not more, STEM research program). Even then, engineering admission can still be hit or miss (which I disclose to my clients upfront and always explain alternative options).

Harrisonreply
March 14, 2022 at 7:44 pm

Does getting rejected apply to Davis possible “yield protection”? I have strong ecs and rewards for my major and a decently high UC/normal gpa and got into colleges like UIUC and some others for engineering. However I was rejected from Davis straight up, so Im worried this may boil over to the other UCs, as I’ve already gotten into Ucsc, Ucr, and Ucm, is that the best I’ll probably get due to a davis rejection?

March 14, 2022 at 9:24 pm
– In reply to: Harrison

Yield protection really only works if students are put on waitlist, not rejected. Engineering is crazy competitive at most UCs. At UCLA, which publishes engineering-specific admission stats, engineering admit rates are generally well below 10% (depending on the program, most are between 5% and 7%).

Jayreply
March 14, 2022 at 7:47 pm

I’ve done things like COSMOS at the UCs too so does this rejection mean Its pretty much over then for the UCs realistically?

March 14, 2022 at 9:17 pm
– In reply to: Jay

The decisions are unknown until they are released.

cinreply
March 14, 2022 at 10:48 pm

hi i was wondering what is the acceptance rate for uci nursing program and how many students do they accept into the program.

March 15, 2022 at 2:51 pm
– In reply to: cin

UCI Freshman Nursing Admit Rates

Harrisonreply
March 15, 2022 at 1:36 am

so with a rejection from davis am I unlikely to be accpeted into any of the better ucs?

March 15, 2022 at 2:48 pm
– In reply to: Harrison

Decisions are unknown until they are released.

Nathanreply
March 15, 2022 at 8:24 am

I received two emails regarding Alumni scholarships from UCLA. Does everyone receive these? Are they a good sign?

March 15, 2022 at 2:59 pm
– In reply to: Nathan

Sean B.reply
March 15, 2022 at 10:35 am

On your blog “UC Freshman Admission – Campus/Major-Specific Information”, are those gpa listed under each campus Weighted or Unweighted?

March 15, 2022 at 3:13 pm
– In reply to: Sean B.

Those links take you directly to UC websites and GPA listed on those are usually “capped GPA” (I have an explanation of what capped GPA is here).

Jessreply
March 15, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Does applying to ucla education pre major make chances of acceptance harder or easier ?another words I know it’s a new major but is it harder to get in this way?

March 15, 2022 at 10:36 pm
– In reply to: Jess

Choice of major is not a factor that influences admission evaluation for freshman applicants who will enter the College of Letters and Science, which is the case for the Education and Social Transformation major (freshmen are admitted as pre-major and are managed by the College of Letters and Science until successful major declaration). The same is true for the Public Affairs major.

Mikereply
March 15, 2022 at 10:59 pm

My son got waitlisted at UCSC and the opt in for waitlist deadline is March 21.If he opt in to be waitlisted at UCSC,can he still opt in in other UC’s if he also gets waitlisted?Thanks

March 15, 2022 at 11:07 pm
– In reply to: Mike

Opting in onto the waitlist at UCSC does not affect his ability to accept admission offers, opt in for waitlists, and/or appeal at other UCs (this information is in the “Waitlist FAQ” for all of the UCs).

Atharvareply
March 16, 2022 at 1:04 pm

Hi Mrs Sun, do you know what the acceptance rate for data science is at ucsd? Thank you!

March 17, 2022 at 12:07 pm
– In reply to: Atharva

UCSD does not publish major-specific admit rates. While Data Science is capped, switching into the major doesn’t seem competitive. As long as you selected an alternate major that is not capped on the UC Application, you should be evaluated for admission to the campus (choosing Data Science would not affect how you are evaluated for admission because you would be eligible for admission to the non-capped alternate major).

Nureddinreply
March 17, 2022 at 2:04 am

Hi Mr Sun! I have a 4.17 GPA and As in Calculus 1-4 as dual enrollment classes. During the pandemic, I received a D in a dual enrollment English class. I only learnt two weeks ago that UCs don’t accept Ds for requirements and updated the UCs that I will retake that English class in the subsequent quarter. Will this make them not even consider my app? (I applied for Applied Math at UCSD)

March 17, 2022 at 12:29 pm
– In reply to: Nureddin

UCSD is a holistic review campus so your application should be reviewed.

Jenreply
March 17, 2022 at 12:17 pm

Her weighted average is 4.8

March 17, 2022 at 2:01 pm
– In reply to: Jen

That’s great!

Polinareply
March 17, 2022 at 3:14 pm

Do you think both UCLA and UCI will come out on Friday 3/18? If yes, do you know what time?

March 17, 2022 at 7:20 pm
– In reply to: Polina

That’s a possibility. Usually in the afternoon, between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Pacific.

Seanreply
March 18, 2022 at 7:26 pm

My son got waitlisted by UCSC, UCI and UCSD and accepted into UCR and all CalState. What are the chances that he gets admitted to UCI or UCSD?

March 19, 2022 at 11:56 am
– In reply to: Sean

Admission from waitlist depends largely on the size of the initial admit pool and the yield from that pool, plus the size of the waitlist opt-in pool and how quickly everyone else gives up. Kind of a crapshoot going forward (I recommend lining up the backup options and proceed accordingly; waiting around to see if you win the lottery is generally not a great life strategy).

HS_Momreply
March 18, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Hi Ms.Sun,

My daughter got waitlisted at UCSD, UCD and UCLA 🙁 She had worked very hard, has 4.43 (10-12 A-G GPA), decent ECs and took some rigorous APs (with mostly 5’s on all APs). Her prompt questions were really deep and genuine and reflected her hardwork/dedication/strength/struggles. Can you please let me know how we can increase her chances of getting in at least one of those? (I was confident that she will get into UCSD Cog Sci with her stats especially it’s an uncapped major).

Thanks!

March 19, 2022 at 12:18 pm
– In reply to: HS_Mom

I replied to the email you sent me.

Jazlereply
March 18, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Do you know approx how many are on UCI nursing waitlist?

March 19, 2022 at 12:24 pm
– In reply to: Jazle

See my explanation here regarding waitlist for UCI (as related to Nursing).

Wenreply
March 18, 2022 at 10:58 pm

If you have a 4.8 GPA, 1550 SAT and got into MIT and Berkeley with regents invite but rejected at UCLA-will UCLA tell you the real reason they rejected you?

March 19, 2022 at 12:28 pm
– In reply to: Wen

You can call and ask.

Annabelreply
March 19, 2022 at 6:18 am

My daughter has a unweighted GPA of 4.0 and weighted 4.6 and got rejected from UCLA, UCI and waitlisted to UCSD. Should we give up hope on UCSB?

March 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm
– In reply to: Annabel

UCSB decisions will be released on Tuesday (3/22).

Christinareply
March 19, 2022 at 7:56 am

I have a set of twins. One received the admission letter on 3/17. One didn’t receive anything yesterday. How can we find out what happened?

March 19, 2022 at 12:51 pm
– In reply to: Christina

Check the online applicant portal for the decisions.

Wenreply
March 19, 2022 at 12:34 pm

Is there usually something that happened though if you got Berkeley with Regents invite but rejected from UCLA?

March 19, 2022 at 1:03 pm
– In reply to: Wen

There’s some speculation that the UCs are “coordinating” the admission decisions but the campuses continue to deny that (they always say they don’t coordinate). There are lots of really sketchy things that go down with UC admissions, so I wouldn’t put it past them to lie about this.

Jenreply
March 20, 2022 at 5:46 am

Just an update: my daughter who got an alumni request to apply for an alumni scholarship at UCLA was rejected. She did get accepted to Davis engineering.

March 20, 2022 at 2:56 pm
– In reply to: Jen

Congratulations on the Davis admission offer!

Jazlereply
March 20, 2022 at 9:57 am

Thank you for the info. Is there priority to be admitted to nursing program for current admitted UCI students that didn’t make it during the initial round? If admitted for Aug 2022, does that mean to reapply again for Nursing program in Nov 2022 or Nov 2023? Thank you.

March 20, 2022 at 3:00 pm
– In reply to: Jazle

Go here to review the UCI change of major (into nursing) requirements.

Wenreply
March 20, 2022 at 12:05 pm

I see. Thanks so much for the reply. It just hurts that UCLA was actually my dream school. I just don’t get how I could get in Berkeley early and MIT and not even get a regular acceptance at UCLA, especially when my stats were over the 75th percentile for acceptances. Maybe they just didn’t like me.

March 20, 2022 at 3:05 pm
– In reply to: Wen

UCLA is pretty vain, so if you start a IG or TikTok plead for your appeal, maybe you’ll get admitted (there was an OOS student who was pleading to get off the waitlist on Twitter a few years back that made the news and the student did get off the waitlist – although UCLA firmly denies the Twitter pleading had anything to do with it).

Tony Breply
March 20, 2022 at 12:33 pm

Tough finding out my daughter got rejected from 4 out of 5 U.C.’s…What are the chances of getting into U.C. Berkley if UCLA, UCSD, Santa Cruz, and U.C. Davis rejected her?

March 20, 2022 at 3:05 pm
– In reply to: Tony B

She will find out on Thursday (3/24).

Amyreply
March 20, 2022 at 1:12 pm

Hello- My son has a 1410 SAT, 3.94 unweighted with 4 AP courses, so we think his GPA weighted is 4.14, using calculators (?) and we are from out of state. Does weighted GPA really count B+s as the same as a B- when weighting grades? He was rejected from UCLA, Irvine, San Diego (not waitlisted), still waiting on Berkley. Is this out of ordinary? What is the likelihood of appealing if not waitlisted. Can we call an admission office of one of these schools to see how they calculated his weighted score since we are not familiar with it in our state. Thanks for the info.

March 20, 2022 at 3:08 pm
– In reply to: Amy

UCs do not consider the +/- grade designation for freshman applicants. Everyone gets rejected everywhere within the UC system, that’s what happens when there are 150k+ students competing for 6k+ spaces. Chance of decision reversal on appeal is generally very low; although there were rare instances in the past when the UCs misjudged the yield and accepted a large number of students on appeal. You can try calling the admissions office.

Daisyreply
March 20, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Hello! I am confused because it looks like all freshman have received a decision from UCSC but I haven’t gotten any messages yet. I double checked that everything was submitted correctly, and have been checking my portal consistently. Is anyone else dealing with this?

March 21, 2022 at 11:49 am
– In reply to: Daisy

UCSC portal had a cache issue in the past. I recommend clearing your browser cache and log in again or try using a different browser (that you haven’t used before to log into the portal).

Jamesreply
March 21, 2022 at 1:37 am

My son was accepted to UCD and UCSR, wait-listed for UCI, and rejected from UCLA and UCSD (all econ). Does the major affect the acceptance rate?

March 21, 2022 at 11:57 am
– In reply to: James

To some extent, but not in the way you think. Read my explanation here.

JCmomreply
March 21, 2022 at 9:32 am

Hi Ms Sun, my daughter has been waitlisted at UCSD. Does UCSD have a waitlist statement section where she can express her interest in attending the school?

March 21, 2022 at 11:59 am
– In reply to: JCmom

No and unsolicited information will not be reviewed.

Terrireply
March 21, 2022 at 11:40 am

My child got their acceptance notice on Friday.

March 21, 2022 at 12:26 pm
– In reply to: Terri

Congrats!

Helpless_Parentreply
March 21, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Hi Ms. Sun, My daughter got waitlisted at UCSD, UCD and accepted to UCSC, UCR and UCM. Will it help to call the admissions office to find if she has any chances of getting off the waitlist at UCSD and UCD? Her weighted GPA is ~4.6, has done several extra curricular activities and AP courses. I’m wondering if she has any chances at UCB, UCSB and Cal Poly Slo. Seems like we’re totally helpless when it comes to college application and decision process. It pains to see the children suffer specially when they’re A-grade students. 🙁

March 21, 2022 at 5:31 pm
– In reply to: Helpless_Parent

UCSB decisions will come out tomorrow (3/22); Berkeley decisions will be out on Thursday (3/24). You can try calling; sometimes you’ll get someone helpful who will provide information, other times not.

Joyreply
March 21, 2022 at 3:02 pm

Hello, I am a mom of a male applicant for all UC schools with CS major from Virginia. He has been receiving many emails from UCSB as if the school already accepted him among all UCs. I wonder why UCSB is not being mentioned too much in this thread.. How hard is it to get into UCSB for cs major? My son is wishing to get into USB. He took AP calculus BC in 11th, AP physics and AP stat in senior year; SAT is 1560, UW 3.7, W 4.15; excellent essay; fencing at regional level. Does he have a chance?

March 21, 2022 at 5:34 pm
– In reply to: Joy

UCSB decisions haven’t come out yet (3/22). All of the UCs being mentioned in this thread are the ones that have released decisions. CS is really competitive at UCSB. Berkeley decisions will be out on Thursday (3/24). I don’t allow any of my students with AP Stats in senior year to apply to engineering majors (must be enrolled in more advanced calculus for engineering majors).

Grace L.reply
March 22, 2022 at 10:07 am

Hi Ms. Sun, what’s time UCSB decision come out today? Have you heard anyone got revoked after admitted to UCs? Thanks!

March 22, 2022 at 12:39 pm
– In reply to: Grace L.

Usually in the afternoon (after school is out to minimize disruption). Lots of students get their admission offers canceled; everything I have on that can be accessed through this blog post.

Grace L.reply
March 22, 2022 at 10:10 am

Hi Ann, did your kid get in? I hope she’s admitted.

March 22, 2022 at 3:23 pm

My daughter got accepted to UCSC, and waitlisted at UC Davis, UCLA and UCSD and rejected at UCSB. None of this is making sense with a weighted 4.7 GPA, and 4 AP courses her senior year, in addition to the 4 she has already taken. Berkely comes out Thursday, but not very promising at this rate. Any input is appreciated.

March 22, 2022 at 4:04 pm
– In reply to: HJ

Let’s go with conspiracy theory: It could be yield protection (an admission officer from UCI let slip once that they can predict yield using aggregated student data). There’s also some speculation that the UCs are “coordinating” the admission decisions but the campuses continue to deny that (they always say they don’t coordinate). There are lots of really sketchy things that go down with UC admissions, so I wouldn’t put it past them to lie about either, or something more nefarious.

Samreply
March 24, 2022 at 1:21 pm

I applied to Cal Poly and haven’t heard anything yet. Do you know if they’ve started releasing application results yet? I know that they’ll all be out by April 1, but I’m wondering if there have already been acceptances and denials

March 24, 2022 at 2:24 pm
– In reply to: Sam

I think the decisions have been coming out (I think it’s rolling but I’m not sure).

Renreply
March 24, 2022 at 7:15 pm

I know of people who have received their UCR decisions at the beginning of march but my portal still says my application is under review. Is there a reason why it’s taking so long for my decision to come out?

March 24, 2022 at 9:52 pm
– In reply to: Ren

Because UCR can? There is no rhyme or reason for anything the UCs do (it probably makes sense to them, but the rest of us live in the real world, which is apparently two dimensions removed from where the UCs are).

Jackiereply
March 25, 2022 at 3:53 pm

My daughter got waitlisted at UClA. She plans to submit the allowed short appeals statement. Do these statements actually get read? What are the chances of getting off a waitlist for a school like UCLA? She was also waitlisted for UCSB, but they don’t allow additional info. Do you know why it’s so different between these UCs? Thanks for your advice.

March 28, 2022 at 12:43 pm
– In reply to: Jackie

UCLA allows an optional waitlist statement for students to provide additional information. I would not call 7,000 characters “short” (that’s like ~1,500 words). Students offered waitlist option cannot appeal.

Admission from waitlist depends largely on the size of the initial admit pool and the yield from that pool, the size of the waitlist opt-in pool, and how quickly everyone else gives up. Kind of a crapshoot going forward.

Each UC has its own process and consideration for the waitlist.

Cpdreply
March 25, 2022 at 5:54 pm

We are still waiting on UCR, does anybody get rejected or waitlisted? Or have they only sent decisions for admitted students?

March 28, 2022 at 12:45 pm
– In reply to: Cpd

I vaguely recall the campus has a terrible habit of dumping all of the rejections out on the last day of March.

Teresereply
March 26, 2022 at 12:16 am

My daughter is still waiting to hear from SDSU. It’s almost the end of March. How much longer is this gonna take?

March 28, 2022 at 12:47 pm
– In reply to: Terese

I don’t know anything about decision release timeline for SDSU.

lintreply
March 26, 2022 at 2:23 pm

If I didn’t get a decision from UCR yet at 3/26 does that mean I didn’t get in? (because you replied to someone else saying rejections/waitlists were usually toward the end of the decision release cycle.)

March 28, 2022 at 12:53 pm
– In reply to: lint

I think I’ve heard of instances of people getting admitted on March 31. You can either continue waiting or give up now; that’s up to you.

March 27, 2022 at 10:20 am

Hi, My daughter got accepted in UCSC (CS major),UCSD (alternate Major Data Science), waitlisted in UCI and UCD, rejected from UCLA,UCSB ,UCB. She has all As in her A-G classes (UW 4), She had 5 AP classes including Physics C and Cal BC and enrolled in Higher Calculus in her senior year. She is doing multiple classes from community colleges and having a decent extracurricular activities. She is also doing additional 4 AP classes in her Senior years. What could be the possible rejection from UCLA,UCSB AND UCB? thank you

March 28, 2022 at 1:06 pm
– In reply to: rr

CS is extremely competitive. I’ve seen students with patented invention and national robotics championship getting rejected. This is a byproduct of Silicon Valley being located in California; if you go anywhere else outside of the state, you can often get into CS with 3.0 GPA and minimal math/science preparation.

cpdreply
March 28, 2022 at 2:52 pm

we received our decision over 10 days ago (rejected)…

Peterreply
March 28, 2022 at 4:48 pm

This whole thing seems like a racket. My daughter got rejected at UCLA, UCSB and USC. But was waitlisted at CAL. Parents there is no rhythm or reason. The process sucks and our kids are left wondering what they did wrong. This process has to change. Unfortunately, I don’t know how and by the time all of finished the schools are on to the next group the mess with. Seemed a lot easier in my day….the 80’s.

March 29, 2022 at 12:50 am
– In reply to: Peter

Run for position in the state legislature or apply for appointment to become a UC Regent to advocate for changes you feel are needed.

Frankreply
March 28, 2022 at 5:39 pm

Hi. Our daughter was accepted at UCSD, UCI, and waitlisted at Berkeley. She looked back at her app and noticed she left out a class from freshman year. It was a regular (non-honors) class and earned a 98 for a final grade. She reached out to the admissions offices for the schools and sent her transcript to make sure this isn’t an issue but hasn’t heard back. Since the app requires you to enter everything manually I assume this is not too uncommon. Is this something we should worry about?
Thanks

March 29, 2022 at 12:51 am
– In reply to: Frank

One class is unlikely to make a difference in the overall decision.

Gracereply
March 29, 2022 at 1:54 pm

LOl. Good point!

CPDreply
March 29, 2022 at 2:19 pm

UCR is sending waitlisted decisions today…just received my son’s… and another person too

March 29, 2022 at 3:53 pm
– In reply to: CPD

Hang in there.

Amitreply
March 29, 2022 at 4:06 pm

When do waitlist decisions come out?

March 29, 2022 at 7:28 pm
– In reply to: Amit

After May 1.

Angelreply
April 7, 2022 at 4:08 pm

When will UCR waitlist applicants get notified of acceptance

April 7, 2022 at 6:35 pm
– In reply to: Angel

Most likely after May 1.

Tiffanyreply
April 9, 2022 at 11:48 pm

Hi Ms. Sun, based on what you have heard, does it appear UCs are not giving out a lot of admission letters this year (2022)? My son is in one of the top private schools in CA. At his GPA level, 100% students get admitted into UCSD, UCI, UCSB and 70% – 80% into UCB and UCLA. This year, things look completely different. Aside from his good GPA, he has also done many EC in science research programs, sports and other leadership activities. However, he got waitlisted by those 100% sure schools and rejected by the other two. Very unfortunate. Many of his classmates seem to be in the same boat.

What is going on this year? What are the chances of waitlist this year? Heard that in 2020, a huge percentage got off the waitlist. Do you have any foresight? Any suggestions for appeal?

April 10, 2022 at 12:28 pm
– In reply to: Tiffany

UCs likely over-enrolled across the entire system last year (based on whatever little information I can scrape together from between the lines at conferences where UC admission officers were speaking) and it’s likely that NO ONE came off the waitlist last year (all of the campuses avoided saying anything about the waitlist, which can only mean bad news). What you are seeing now is whatever adjustments the UCs decided to implement to prevent another wave of over-enrollment (my speculation but making changes is standard procedure whenever UCs over-enroll). The UC system is an independent entity and doesn’t need to report to anyone (not even the state) and there is almost no transparency (occasionally, when they are feeling generous, they will disclose shenanigans they were up to AFTER THE FACT, usually a year or two later). I’m in the dark too, but I’ve seen enough UC shenanigans to be able to speculate, but that’s about it.

Marshallreply
April 10, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Hi Ms. Sun, I have a follow up question on your previous comment. Do you think the UCs are likely giving less admission offers this year to balance off the over-enrollment from last year(if this is the case then the waitlist activity will be low) or are they simply taking precautionary measures to prevent over-enrollment and use waitlists to fill enrollment spaces(this case will not be affected be the enrollment from last year and will indicate more students get off the waitlists/appeals)?

April 10, 2022 at 12:56 pm
– In reply to: Marshall

What I speculate is that the over-enrollment ate the “enrollment increase” the UCs were supposed to have. So I think (NOT know, “think” – like “imagine”) enrollment target will remain flat (not go up or down).

What I heard at a recent conference is that yield has become wildly unpredictable. It’s not clear to me (because the UCs are keeping mum about it) what exactly the UCs are doing to deal with that (although, the usual would be just dramatically decrease the initial admission offers, put a ridiculous number of people on waitlist, and see what shakes out).

This could go in any number of directions: the UCs could completely mess up and over-enroll again (I sincerely hope they are smarter than that – every over-enrolled freshman class takes three to six years to process because that’s how long it takes for them to graduate and leave); the UCs could completely mess up and become totally under-enrolled (in that case, lots of students will be admitted from the waitlist and maybe even from appeal); the UCs could have hit the prediction jackpot and came really close to the enrollment target (in which case few, if any, students would be admitted from waitlist/appeal).

Gracereply
April 10, 2022 at 1:19 pm
– In reply to: Marshall

Last year, data shows that UC waitlist had almost NO Movement. Don’t keep your hope up this year if you’re waitlisted at UCLA, UCB.

So many waitlists this year, doesn’t mean higher chance to get off waitlist, you may not be allowed to appeal if you’re waitlisted.

April 10, 2022 at 7:45 pm
– In reply to: Grace

UCSC set up a process this year for students who were not admitted from waitlist to appeal.

Tiffanyreply
April 10, 2022 at 10:49 pm

As to appeal, I thought most UCs have the appeal process set up. Any insights from the past what works for appeal? I quickly read UCLA appeal process which indicated that if the application review was focused on things prior to senior year, don’t send senior year accomplishments. That sounds in a way fair but not totally fair to me.

April 11, 2022 at 11:05 am
– In reply to: Tiffany

Just because there is a process set up, doesn’t mean the UCs have to admit students from it. Ultimately, you can submit whatever you want and the UCs can do whatever they wants (I’m not being vague, this is literally how things have worked out).

Lini. Treply
April 17, 2022 at 5:57 pm

Hi Ms. Sun, my daughter was waitlisted at UCLA and rejected at UC Berkeley for biology as her major. It seems to us that the UCs were for the most part conservative with their initial admission officers this year. Based on what you are hearing and looking at, do you predict the waitlists and appeals to move this year unlike the previous year where no one got off for these two colleges?

April 19, 2022 at 10:22 pm
– In reply to: Lini. T

It will likely vary by campus because some UCs have better yield than others and each UC does its own enrollment management (it sounds like UCI botched its prediction, unsurprisingly because the campus always seems to do that, because waitlist decisions are already going out).

Seanreply
April 30, 2022 at 5:27 pm

UCI released its first wave of waitlist acceptance on April 19th. Does that mean the “yield” was not as good as they predicted?
Just saw this quote in regards to UCI admissions for this year: “Dale Leaman, UC Irvine’s executive director of undergraduate admissions, said the campus was “super conservative” in its initial admission offers this year. That’s because it overenrolled last year, after more students than expected accepted Irvine’s admission offer. This year, Leaman said, the campus will admit more students from the waitlist if needed.”

April 30, 2022 at 11:14 pm