Invitations to Apply for UC Alumni Scholarships

If you receive an invitation to apply for alumni scholarships, know that the alumni associations obtain the contact information and general profile of applicants from the admissions office and send out invitations based on criteria the alumni associations determined to reflect the type of students they want for the scholarships. The process is separate from admission evaluation as the alumni associations are different entities (typically they are set up as a nonprofit loosely affiliated with the university).

While students who receive an invitation tend to be high achieving students (therefore more likely to be admitted), getting an invitation is not indicative of your admission status (because the admissions office generally does NOT share admission decisions with the alumni associations at the scholarship application stage of the process and the alumni associations do NOT have any influence over admission evaluation). Keep in mind that you may apply for the scholarships regardless of whether you received an invitation (most alumni scholarships that require a separate application will allow all applicants who meet the scholarship requirements to apply).

Help support this blog by making a contribution today! Any amount is greatly appreciated!

February 7, 2020 at 11:26 am

What’s the student’s likelihood of admission if she receives the invitation to apply for the alumni scholarship? It is quite a lot of work for the student to write two new essays just to be rejected two weeks later.

February 7, 2020 at 11:41 am
– In reply to: VH

It’s unclear to me whether the UCLA admissions office now shares admissions decisions with the Alumni Association for the invitation emails (not in the past, but UCLA should have MOST of the admission decisions made at this point). But there are lots of factors that would affect the admission outcome so I don’t recommend using the invitation as a gauge (for example, UCs will kick students who failed to fulfill the application verification/audit off the admit list, but that often happen just before the admission decisions are released). I looked at the UCLA timeline for reviewing the scholarship application and it seems like the scholarship application is due just before the campus will release freshman decisions. It’s possible that the invitations are going out to the kind of students the Alumni Association wants but the scholarship application review won’t happen until after the admission decisions go out (meaning they are creating work for students indiscriminately but are only reviewing the scholarship applications for students who are admitted). That’s pretty normal since the Alumni Association wants students who are motivated and eager (and they don’t seem to care much about creating a lot of work for students, since there is an oversupply of them).

Victoria Franklinreply
February 7, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Word at school is the invitation to apply for UCLA Alumni Scholarship e-mail was sent to ALL applicants this year (as opposed to top ~7,000 previous years) – new policy this year. Is this true?

February 7, 2020 at 1:26 pm
– In reply to: Victoria Franklin

I’m no longer involved with the scholarship so I don’t know for sure. Some of my students said most of their classmates didn’t get an invitation, so I don’t know who to believe.

Sylviereply
February 9, 2020 at 8:36 am
– In reply to: Victoria Franklin

It’s been interesting to see this rumor spread like wildfire through the forums, but if you try to trace it back to a source, it’s always anecdotal (“Someone at my school with bad stats got it,” “2 people at my school got it last year and 20 got it this year”). There definitely are people who didn’t get the email. While I certainly wouldn’t use it as a sign of admission, I’d just say I haven’t yet found any actual evidence that anything is different this year from other years.

February 9, 2020 at 9:17 am
– In reply to: Sylvie

Thanks for sharing!

Sylviereply
February 23, 2020 at 3:20 pm
– In reply to: Victoria Franklin

I have a somewhat more definitive answer now via the Alumni Association. The person I talked to said that while not everyone got it, they did in fact “reach out to a greater number of students this year.” No specifics, unfortunately.

February 23, 2020 at 8:07 pm
– In reply to: Sylvie

Thanks for the information!

J.M.reply
February 9, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Is the Regents scholarship similar in that the applications are reviewed by independent organization? My daughter was invited to apply to Regents UCLA but she doesn’t know if she should repeat anything from her UC App (activities, awards, etc) or how to structure her answer to the essay question about making the most of her time at UCLA. Will the people reading the Regents app have access to the UC app?

February 10, 2020 at 10:22 am
– In reply to: J.M.

Regents is handled by the campus (when the scholarship used to require an interview, the interviews were conducted by faculty members). Information in the UC Application will be accessible to the people who decide on the scholarship, but your daughter is competing against the top 1% or 2% of the applicants so it almost doesn’t matter (everyone competing for the scholarship is extremely high-achieving). She should focus on discussing how she intends to take advantage of what UCLA has to offer (leverage her UCLA education) to achieve her goals (reference her current/past achievements as evidence of her ability to do that; the information is already on the UC Application, so she can just add or point to it).

Katherinereply
February 23, 2020 at 11:33 am

Will people reviewing for Alumni scholarship have access to the UC application of the student? Do you feel that students should include something in the additional information section that is optional?

February 23, 2020 at 11:45 am
– In reply to: Katherine

Last I heard, the answer is “no” because of privacy. The scholarship application should stand on its own.

Sylviereply
February 23, 2020 at 3:16 pm
– In reply to: Ms. Sun

I called the Alumni Association last week and can confirm this. They do not have access.

February 23, 2020 at 8:04 pm
– In reply to: Sylvie

Thanks for this!

March 2, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Does UCLA have access to the contents of the student’s application for the Alumni scholarship and does UCLA track whether or not a prospective student submitted an application for the Alumni Scholarship?

March 3, 2020 at 8:13 am
– In reply to: VH

From what I understand the Alumni Association does NOT have access to the UC Application. The scholarship application evaluation results historically had no effect on the admission decision outcome, so my guess is the admissions office doesn’t track that information.

SVIreply
March 7, 2020 at 3:06 pm

How do I submit the essays for the UCLA Alumni Scholarship? The scholarship portal application form doesn’t have any space allocated for the two essays.

March 8, 2020 at 10:24 am
– In reply to: SVI

I believe the scholarship application is in multiple parts, you have to fill out an initial form and save/submit before you can get to the essay questions.

Irisreply
March 9, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Hi there, how does my teacher submit the letter of recommendation for the UCLA Alumni Scholarship Application? I thought I would receive an email (after submitting my application) that I have to forward to my teacher about the instructions, but I didn’t receive any additional information. Thank you so much!

Sylviereply
March 10, 2020 at 2:29 pm
– In reply to: Iris

Feel free to double-check, but LOR requirement was dropped this year. A commenter elsewhere said they verified, plus, as you noted, there was no mention of it in the application.

March 11, 2020 at 6:13 am
– In reply to: Sylvie

Thanks for the information. If the application does not specifically ask for recommendation letters, then that would not be required.

April 1, 2020 at 1:09 pm

Do you know when students will find out if they were selected?

April 1, 2020 at 3:41 pm
– In reply to: KS

I assume there will be delays, since there are normally in-person interviews required for the selection process.

Any Questions?