UCSB Freshman Decisions Available NOW!

UC Santa Barbara released ALL freshman decisions today (3/22/2022). Check your decision at Applicant Portal and share the news!

Help support this blog by making a contribution today! Any amount is greatly appreciated!

March 22, 2022 at 9:43 pm

The UC system is very disappointing. Sad for all the CA kids that worked really hard for years with great grades & extracurriculars and didn’t get into any of the schools. System is broken.

March 22, 2022 at 9:52 pm
– In reply to: KP

The UCs don’t have capacity to accommodate all of the qualified students in the state. Everyone wants great education but no one wants to pay taxes.

Limreply
March 22, 2022 at 10:08 pm

UCSB said they update decision for fall 2022 by Mar.22, but it did not. Is there any problem?

March 23, 2022 at 9:46 am
– In reply to: Lim

All freshman decisions should be released. Try clearing your browser cache or log into your applicant portal using a different browser that you have not used before.

Pedroreply
March 23, 2022 at 8:38 am

My daughter was waitlisted at UCSB (out of state). How does UCSB view a waitlisted out of state student? Also, were they conservative in their initial offers?

March 23, 2022 at 11:00 am
– In reply to: Pedro

Admission from waitlist depends largely on the size of the initial admit pool and the yield from that pool, the size of the waitlist opt-in pool, and how quickly everyone else gives up. Kind of a crapshoot going forward.

OOS waitlist should move since yield tends to be low.

I assume all UCs made fewer offers upfront and put a ridiculous number of students on waitlist.

PaulSDreply
March 23, 2022 at 11:44 am

Thank you for all your helpful information, Ms. Sun.

Just passing along that I heard the lack of SAT scores has caused UCs to ratchet down acceptance offers because UCs can’t predict yields as well without test scores. So, perhaps this is another year of huge waitlists with higher-than-usual conversions to acceptance offers. (I’m hoping that’s the case for my son who’s waitlisted at UCSD, UCSB, UCSC, and UCD.)

March 23, 2022 at 1:00 pm
– In reply to: PaulSD

Yup, that’s kind of what I’m hearing too at the conference I’m attending today. It also sounds like yield went haywire last year (the Regents cracked down on massive cancellations so now campuses just eat the over-enrollment, but that usually messes them up really bad and there are often massive adjustments to the admissions process as a result for the following cycle – the UCs didn’t say anything, so I’m just trying to scrape together clues over here).

March 23, 2022 at 3:59 pm

Thank you for all the updates throughout this process. Much appreciated.

March 23, 2022 at 9:59 pm
– In reply to: KP

I’m happy to help!

Pedroreply
March 24, 2022 at 6:34 am

Thank you. Super helpful.

March 24, 2022 at 11:15 am
– In reply to: Pedro

I’m happy to help.

Sarareply
March 24, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Hi Ms. Sun, I was waitlisted from UCSB and it’s my top choice. I read last year that over 90% of students on the waitlist were able to get off of it. Do you think that will be the case this year?

March 24, 2022 at 10:27 pm
– In reply to: Sara

I think that was for 2020. I’m relatively certain no one came off the waitlist last year (most, if not all, of the UCs likely over-enrolled from the original admit pool). There was talk of yield being completely unpredictable, so it’s a complete crapshoot going forward.

Angelicareply
March 25, 2022 at 1:38 pm

My daughter waitlisted at UCSB. Any more insight or feedback in regards to probability of securing a seat?

March 28, 2022 at 12:35 pm
– In reply to: Angelica

Angelicareply
March 25, 2022 at 1:40 pm

Also, what are your thoughts on taking a “gap” year?

March 28, 2022 at 12:37 pm
– In reply to: Angelica

Gap year likely disadvantages the student since the admission cycle tends to become more competitive each year.

Reginaldreply
April 3, 2022 at 2:14 pm

Is it possible that each UC is playing cat and mouse game.. after May 1st a UC could get someone off the waitlist and lock them with the 7 day acceptance rule – wondering if that is Binding.. meaning if another UC that the child prefers if they come later they will not be able to accept. Wondering how that works.. Can a waitlisted child after accepting a admission offer later cancel and accept another UC offer who also took them off the wait list? The quick decision in 5-7 days maybe a leverage that the UCs may try to squeeze better yield.. just wondering..

April 3, 2022 at 8:51 pm
– In reply to: Reginald

UC admission offers are never binding. But the $250 SIR deposit can add up quickly if a student hops from one UC to another multiple times (the deposit is nonrefundable and nontransferable). I have an explanation of how to deal with waitlist offers when the student already has an SIR with another UC campus here.

Lonreply
May 15, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Hi my son got waitlisted for UCLA in the business economics undergraduate program, and we are out of state. I was wondering if you have any idea of how long it takes to hear back from UCLA about their decision regarding his waitlist? Or if you’ve noticed any trends this year regarding waitlist/UCLA admissions. I know it’s unpredictable but any information helps, thank you.

May 15, 2022 at 4:18 pm
– In reply to: Lon

According to the official UC Freshman Waitlist and Appeals Fact Sheet, the campuses have until August to notify students.

Pedro Santosreply
May 25, 2022 at 10:02 am

Has anyone heard back on waitlist decisions from UCSB?

May 25, 2022 at 11:02 am
– In reply to: Pedro Santos

There was a wave of decisions on May 10.

Momreply
June 8, 2022 at 1:55 pm

Hello, we still haven’t heard from UCSB waitlist. August is such a long time to wait without any certainty, especially as other schools’ 2nd deposits are due and orientations are already taking place in July. I’m just not sure how to advise my child at this point. Does anyone have any updates or more succinct info about what to expect re: decision? Thanks.

June 8, 2022 at 9:42 pm
– In reply to: Mom

Your child needs to move forward with the backup. IF there’s an admission offer, evaluate the option at that time. You can only deal with winning the lottery AFTER you win. You cannot plan your life around the assumption that you’ll win the lottery.

Momreply
June 9, 2022 at 8:20 am

Thank you, that’s excellent advice.

June 9, 2022 at 8:40 am