UC Admission Updates (Freshman & Transfer)

This is my last public UC freshman and transfer admission update (from Fall 2016). Current updates are only available to my newsletter subscribers due to multiple incursions by the UCs.

Fall 2016 Freshman Admission Update

You may access the freshman admission update here. The file contains updates from Berkeley, UCLA, and the UC system (which includes updates from each of the nine UC campuses). As a bonus, I threw in the freshman waitlist, appeal, and cancellation numbers from Fall 2015.

Fall 2016 Transfer Admission Update

You may access the transfer admission update here. The file contains updates from Berkeley and the UC system (which includes updates from each of the nine UC campuses, plus information on engineering and special circumstances). As a bonus, I threw in the transfer waitlist, appeal, and cancellation numbers from Fall 2015.

Help support this blog by making a contribution today! Any amount is greatly appreciated!

Kamil Shamsreply
December 8, 2015 at 6:19 pm

hello ms. sun
i was placed into a level lower than the transferrable english level. My counselor suggested that i can take this course as pass/no pass as it is just a pre req for the transferrable course. Does it matter in any way? I am a mechanical engineering student hoping to transfer to uc berkeley. Thanks for your help

December 9, 2015 at 10:21 am
– In reply to: Kamil Shams

You need to complete both English classes before the end of fall term prior to transfer. If you will end up in the second English class in spring prior to transfer, then you need to take the non-transferable English class for a grade (and do well in it) and report that class on your UC application to establish a trend to ensure the UCs you will likely pass the second English class in spring. Otherwise the UCs may not want to take a chance on you (too many students flunk out of the second half of the English requirement in spring, which then renders them ineligible for admission).

Kamil Shamsreply
January 10, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I am trying to transfer in 2 years and to fulfill all requirements for mechanical engineering i have to take a lot of units each semester. That means i might not be able to participate in a lot of extracurricular activities. I can join a couple of societies related to engineering but not a lot more. i might be able to get a position for one of the societies.Should i try to fit in some more time for extracurriculars? i have heard about people getting rejected(by berkeley and ucla) with 4.0’s so i’m just worried if this could go against me.
Thanks for your help.

January 11, 2016 at 8:00 am
– In reply to: Kamil Shams

It’s about quality, not quantity. Rather than spreading your time out across activities that don’t amount to anything significant, focus on couple activities that are relevant and significant; for example, engineering internships, summer STEM research experiences/programs, and/or volunteering/work experiences in a STEM field.

Kamil Shamsreply
January 11, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Does the personal statement prompt 2 have to be related to academics? I want to write about how i migrated to the US and my initial struggles and how that has changed me. Is that okay? And another thing i wanted to clarify is that is it compulsory to report all the non transferrable level courses you took? I took non transferrable english pass/no pass and will be done with both the transferrable english courses when i apply, is it necessary to report the non transferrable one as well? Thanks for your help.

January 13, 2016 at 11:55 am
– In reply to: Kamil Shams

You can write about your personal experience in the personal statement. You are supposed to report non-transferable coursework so the UCs can see your course load (because your UC-transferable load might make you look part-time even if you were enrolled full-time).

Questions or Comments?