UC Transfer Academic Update

From the UC website:

After applying, transfer students are required to update their grades and course records.

You must provide your final grades from the previous term and list all courses in progress or planned for the term before you expect to enroll. Your updates will ensure UC campuses have the most current academic information available.

Fall term 2018

If you applied for fall quarter/semester 2018, you must provide us with a list of courses completed in fall 2017 and associated grades, as well as your planned coursework through summer 2018.

Even if you do not have any in-progress or planned courses and your record of course grades was complete in your original application, you must log in to your application and complete the Transfer Academic Update.

The priority deadline for the Transfer Academic Update site is Jan. 31, 2018.

Source: Update transfer application, retrieved on January 5, 2018.

Notes:

• The Transfer Academic Update is available online now (as of January 5, 2018).
  • ALL transfer applicants MUST complete the update at least once before the priority deadline.
  • The Transfer Academic Update will remain open after the priority deadline and transfer applicants may continue using it to submit grades/schedule updates until the end of March.
  • Remember that some UC campuses may hold you accountable for planned summer courses (and cancel your admission offer when you don’t come through; I have heard of a few instances of such cancellations). Do NOT put down summer courses unless you know for sure that 1) the courses will actually be offered; and 2) you are fully committed to completing the courses.
  • Berkeley requires an additional update which can be accessed through MAP@Berkeley. Berkeley transfer applicants MUST complete BOTH the Transfer Academic Update and the Berkeley update in order to be considered for admission.

Curious what super secret UC admission information I have that is just too sensitive for public consumption? Subscribe to my SUPER SECRET Newsletter today and discover the secrets that will help you gain a competitive edge for admission to your dream UC!

Help support this blog by making a contribution through PayPal today! Any amount is greatly appreciated!

16 comments for “UC Transfer Academic Update

1. Dan
    January 7, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Hey Ms. Sun,

Do you know if there is any advantage in submitting the TAU early?
    Let’s say: if I submitted the TAU on January 5, 2018, would the admission counselors read my application earlier (before the priority deadline) than those who submitted close to January 31, 2018?

According to an email from UC App Center: “Campuses don’t begin a thorough review of the applications for transfers until after the Transfer Academic Update Priority Deadline has passed.”
    which makes sense because a student can make changes by submitting multiple TAUs before the priority deadline. But given the high number of applications each campus receive, I’m curious if this general rule applies to every campus (especially Berkeley and UCLA, two schools which I applied to). Some campuses may want to spread out the workload of evaluating the applications to January (or this may not be true if they’re busy evaluating Freshman applications in January).

Although campuses claim that every application receive equal and fair consideration, I suspect that applications read early in the whole process would have a slight advantage, given the high number of available spots in each major that have not been filled yet (idea of “rolling” admission).

Thanks for everything you’re doing on this blog!

• Ms. Sun
      January 7, 2018 at 5:36 PM

You can submit the TAU multiple times (pretty much as many times as you’d like), so the UCs don’t really look at the transfer applications until after the priority deadline passes (after the deadline, additional updates will trigger some kind of notification to alert the admission officers).

For all we know, it could be last in, first out (like checked bags on a flight). Don’t spend too much time trying to game the system, you’ll just drive yourself crazy.

• Tracy
        January 10, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Would you list spring courses as IP or PL on the update if they are an 8 week course to start in March?

• Ms. Sun
          January 10, 2018 at 6:22 PM

I would put “PL” if it hasn’t started yet.

2. Bryan
    January 21, 2018 at 9:21 AM

Hello Ms Sun,

I was wondering if winter 2018 grades are required to be updated in the system since my winter classes don’t end until end of Feb which is after the priority deadline but before the March 31 deadline.

Thank you so much!

• Ms. Sun
      January 21, 2018 at 10:11 PM

Generally I recommend updating the grades if they are very good and if you are finishing up any major prerequisites.

3. Lucas
    January 23, 2018 at 2:09 PM

Hi Ms. Sun,

I’m aiming to transfer to a UC from another 4 year university, and am wondering whether I should select “No Degree” under the degree section for the college update. The input form asks for the degree, diploma, or certification received or to be received from the college, but it doesn’t allow for me to select “Bachelor’s” as the degree to be received. Does this section only refer to degrees received prior to transferring?

Thank you so much!

• Ms. Sun
      January 23, 2018 at 2:16 PM

You should leave it blank (there should be a “blank” choice in the drop-down menu) since you will not receive anything from the 4-year university prior to transfer.

• Lucas
        January 25, 2018 at 11:57 AM

Is the blank choice the same as selecting “other” and leaving the details field blank? I’ve tried logging in on a couple different browsers and am not seeing the blank choice.

• Ms. Sun
          January 25, 2018 at 8:39 PM

Choose “No Degree” instead then.

4. Christian
    January 28, 2018 at 2:52 PM

I saw on the UC website that I’m expected to include an explanation for an academic renewal I recieved this month for a I got a D in Pre-Cal, Fall 2016. I have little space on the “Additional Comments” section and was told I could send it by email. How long do you think the explanation should be, as it obviously isn’t intended to be another personal statement? I have little excuse for the grade I received, but at the same time do not really have any explanation for how I could’ve failed when I took the class in high school and received a good grade. Thanks.

• Ms. Sun
      January 28, 2018 at 10:14 PM

I looked at the Q&A that referenced the AR explanation and I don’t believe it is applicable if you only have one AR. UCs would expect students to provide an explanation if they have multiple ARs across several semesters or ARs for an entire semester. Most students would AR for one non-passing grade if they don’t expect to repeat the class; that is something that occurs frequently and I wouldn’t consider that to be something you need to explain.

• Christian
        January 30, 2018 at 12:14 PM

Okay great, thank you so much! I had already written a one paragraph, 170ish word explanation that I was going to email to UC. Is that too much? I was thinking of sending it to UC anyway but if it’s too long, I’ll just leave my application as it is.

Thanks again

• Ms. Sun
          January 30, 2018 at 3:32 PM

If you want to explain just one AR, I would suggest explaining why you are not repeating the course.

• Christian
            January 30, 2018 at 7:02 PM

Perfect, I already included that in the letter. I’ll send it then. Thanks for all the help!

• Ms. Sun
              January 30, 2018 at 7:49 PM

I’m happy to help. My best wishes to you and good luck!